Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, May 27, 2013

China’s Jia Zhangke Wins Big at Cannes

The Wall Street Journal, May 27, 2013

The Cannes jury awarded major prizes to films by Jia Zhangke of China and Hirokazu Koreeda of Japan, two of Asia’s top directors whose films frequently grace the screens of the world’s major film festivals.

The award for best screenplay went to Mr. Jia for “A Touch of Sin,” which he also directed, about the struggles of ordinary people in contemporary China told through four separate stories. Mr. Jia is one of China’s most provocative filmmakers, tackling sensitive topics such as corruption, the environment and the widening economic gap between rich and poor. The prize also marks Mr. Jia’s first win at Cannes.

No comments:

Post a Comment