Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, June 30, 2014

5 Links Between Higher Education and the Prison Industry

The worlds of academia and incarceration are closer than you may think

By Hannah K. Gold

Rolling Stone - June 18, 2014

American universities do a fine job of selling themselves as pathways to opportunity and knowledge. But follow the traffic of money and policies through these academic institutions and you'll often wind up at the barbed wire gates of Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) and GEO Group, the two largest private prison operators in the United States. In the last two decades the private prison industry has exploded, growing 784 percent at the federal level, and helping the United States to achieve the highest incarceration rate in the world. CCA operates 69 facilities throughout the United States, GEO operates 55; both typically mandate that 90 percent of their beds be filled at all times. In the last two years alone CCA has defended itself against charges of fraudulent understaffing of its facilities, medical neglect and abuse of inmates.

READ MORE...

No comments:

Post a Comment