Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Book Review: On The Run: Fugitive Life in an American City by Alice Goffman

LONDON SCHOOL SO ECONOMICS AND POLITICAL SCIENCE

On The Run: Fugitive Life in an American City. Alice Goffman. University of Chicago Press.

There are currently 2.3 million people incarcerated in American prisons and jails. There are a further five million or more under some form of penal supervision – generally parole or probation. Such is the scale of imprisonment (America’s rate is close to five times that of England, and we are at record levels), and the disproportionate nature of its impact (one in 15 African-American males aged 18 or older is incarcerated compared with one in every 106 white males of the same age) that scholars have started to refer to what is occurring as mass incarceration. This unprecedented social ‘experiment’ has generated some wonderful, critical scholarship, most recently in the form of Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow and Becky Pettit’s Invisible Men, both published in 2012.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment