Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Will Europe pass the refugee test?

Will Europe pass the refugee test?

Harun Yahya, Istanbul

JAKARTA POST - Mon, August 31 2015

Last week we saw tragic images from Macedonia of refugees trying to cross the border. Thousands of poor people massed on the frontier maybe never imagined they would be met with violence from the Macedonian police or razor wire intended to stop them crossing. These people had fled countries where wars were taking place and set off on voyages of death on bow-up boats to Greece.  The words roll easily off the tongue, but more than 2,000 migrants have died on the Mediterranean, the main scene of this activity. Just as they were rejoicing at having made it, those refugees managing to complete the voyage of death never expected to be welcomed in such a way by an European Union (EU) country.  We are speaking about Syrian, Eritrean, Somalian, Iraqi and Afghan refugees headed for Germany in order to guarantee their lives. They have left their countries, not for a better life or due to poverty, but to survive.  The words of one young refugee from the Macedonian border town of Gevgelija clarify the situation: “Any country is better than my country. In my country, there is war and killings.” Risking death to escape death is a huge statement of despair, yet sad to say, few people living in comfort may realize this.

READ MORE….

No comments:

Post a Comment