Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Deals Activists Through the Decades: From the 1600s to Carl Icahn

By David Benoit

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL - Dec 26, 2015

The famed activist investors of today are fine-tuning 400-year-old tactics.
Shareholder fights with management stretch back all the way to the very first publicly-traded company, The Dutch East India Co., when shareholders tried to fight against a restructuring in the 1622.
The dissident investors, who had little control over how the company was run, used published pamphlets to court public opinion and campaigned for a say in who became directors, arguing the structure of the firm resulted in conflicts of interest.
The shareholders eventually won rights they hadn’t had before. And pockets of shareholder uprisings have occurred ever since.

READ MORE....

1 comment: