Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Elections in Iraqi Kurdistan

BBC - September 20, 2013

Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region goes to the polls on Saturday to elect a new parliament.
This is the fourth parliamentary polls since Iraqi Kurds established the region in Irbil, Sulaimaniya and Dahuk provinces in 1991.
Many believe that this election could change the region's political landscape, partly because for the first time since 1992 the main contenders are taking part individually in the race.
This raises the question of whether the ruling Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) can retain their control over the Kurdistan Region for a third successive decade.
While the five main regional parties are expected to dominate the 111-seat parliament, it is hard to say which will come out on top.

To read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment