Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

So Much for Exporting Democracy: Afghanistan Is as Corrupt as North Korea

By Catherine A. Traywick

Foreign Policy - Tuesday, December 3, 2013

After 12 years, nearly $700 billion, and more than 2,000 dead U.S. soldiers, here's what the United States has to show for its efforts in Afghanistan: a government that's perceived to be as corrupt as North Korea, according to a new report from the anti-corruption group Transparency International. File it away under things U.S. officials would probably rather ignore.
The Corruptions Perception Index culls expert opinions from groups like the World Bank, Freedom House, and the Economist Intelligence Unit on public sector corruption in 177 countries. Afghanistan has lingered near the bottom of the list for years, but since 2012 has shared last place with perennial losers North Korea and Somalia, countries where "corruption perceptions ... indicate a near-total absence of an honest and functioning public sector," according to Transparency International.

To read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment