Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

What Was Once the World's Largest Building Has Now Been Completely Demolished

It took five years, but the Manhattan Project's K-25 site is no more.

By Rebecca J. Rosen

The Atlantic - Dec 23 2013

In the mid-1940s, in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, inside the walls of K-25, some 12,000 Manhattan Project workers separated uranium-235 from uranium-238 via a process of gaseous diffusion. On August 6, 1945, a bomb containing what they had made was dropped on a city in southern JapanHiroshima.

At about 44 acres of footprint, K-25 was once the largest building on Earth (by certain methods of measurement). Here, for scale, is how K-25 compares with Central Park.

To read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment