Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

How British colonialism ruined a perfect cup of tea

On the colonial colouring of the culinary calamity the British call a cup of tea.

Hamid Dabashi

Al-Jazeera – September 18, 2017

Recently my colleague Ilan Pappe and I were in Mexico City attending a conference on Palestine. In the course of the memorable few days we spent together catching up with the latest atrocities around the globe (in between our respective talks on the habitual shenanigans of the Zionist settler colony in Palestine), perhaps the most memorable phrase I remember is when Ilan cited our mutual friend the eminent Indian Marxist Aijaz Ahmed who had once told him "our singular historical failure as a nation was after 200 years of British colonialism we failed to teach them how to cook!"
Soon after that memorable phrase I came across a typically blase BBC report headlined "The true story behind England's tea obsession", celebrating British and other European aristocracies, this time about the culinary calamity the British call "tea".

READ MORE......

No comments:

Post a Comment