Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The case for colonialism By Bruce Gilley

Bruce Gilley: Department of Political Science, Portland State University, Portland, OR, USA
THIRD WORLD QUARTERLY
Pages 1-17 | Received 24 Apr 2017, Accepted 15 Aug 2017, Published online: 08 Sep 2017

ABSTRACT 
For the last 100 years, Western colonialism has had a bad name. It is high time to question this orthodoxy. Western colonialism was, as a general rule, both objectively beneficial and subjectively legitimate in most of the places where it was found, using realistic measures of those concepts. The countries that embraced their colonial inheritance, by and large, did better than those that spurned it. Anti-colonial ideology imposed grave harms on subject peoples and continues to thwart sustained development and a fruitful encounter with modernity in many places. Colonialism can be recovered by weak and fragile states today in three ways: by reclaiming colonial modes of governance; by recolonising some areas; and by creating new Western colonies from scratch.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment