Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Life Expectancy Rises Around the World, Study Finds

By SABRINA TAVERNISE

The New York Times
December 13, 2012

A sharp decline in deaths from malnutrition and infectious diseases like measles and tuberculosis has caused a shift in global mortality patterns over the past 20 years, according to a report published on Thursday, with far more of the world’s population now living into old age and dying from diseases mostly associated with rich countries, like cancer and heart disease.

The shift reflects improvements in sanitation, medical services and access to food throughout the developing world, as well as the success of broad public health efforts like vaccine programs. The results are striking: infant mortality declined by more than half from 1990 to 2010, and malnutrition, the No. 1 risk factor for death and years of life lost in 1990, has fallen to No. 8. 

To read more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment