Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Cover Story An insight into the glamorous world of hijabi fashion and how it reflects social change in Turkey.

Al-Jazeera -  06 May 2015

When Turkey was founded in 1923 it was on firm secular principles. Turkish women were restricted in wearing the headscarf - known as the hijab outside Turkey - in all public sector jobs and universities for most of the 20th century.
During the current AKP party government, a young, confident, female, Muslim middle class has emerged, that is less worried about being socially accepted and more comfortable sharing public spaces with secularists.
Hulya Aslan is the editor of Ala, a monthly fashion magazine in Istanbul that serves a growing Turkish market of Muslim women who think that fashion and Islam are compatible - "conservative" women who want to wear the hijab but also want to dress fashionably, with colour and style.

READ MORE...

No comments:

Post a Comment