Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, December 19, 2015

China’s plan to ‘liberate’ a cradle of Tibetan culture

By Emily Rauhala 

THE WASHINGTON POST - December 14, 2015

— Two photographs grace the walls of the Tibetan farmer’s home. In the courtyard, affixed with silver tacks: Xi Jinping, smiling. Inside, by the light of a yak butter candle: the Dalai Lama in monk’s robes.
Here, in a region called Qinghai in Chinese and Amdo in Tibetan, in a town known as Tongren or Rebkong, depending on whom you ask, things exist in disparate pairs: Two portraits. Two languages. A public face and a private heart.
Even that, it seems, is not enough.
Local officials this year issued a 20-point notice that reaches ever further into the lives of Tibetans here in what’s long been a cradle of Tibetan culture, a thriving monastery town where people proudly speak their native tongue and tout the artists who paint scrolls called thangkas.

READ MORE.....

No comments:

Post a Comment