Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Denmark Bans Ritual 'Halal' and 'Kosher' Slaughter, Stirs up Animal vs Religious Rights Debate

By Divya Avasthy 

International Business Review - February 22, 2014

Halal and kosher meat will no longer be produced in Denmark, where the ritual slaughter has been banned after years of campaigning by animal welfare groups.
Dan Jørgensen, Minister for Agriculture and Food, backs the decision with certainty of his conscience, even as he is widely quoted by the media as saying, "animal rights come before religion".
The statement has stirred up much controversy and debate from Jewish and Muslim religious groups, which are not willing to take non-halal/kosher meat on a "platter".
Animals in most countries are required to be stunned before slaughter to avoid excruciating pain at the time of death, but Jewish and Muslim rituals require the animal to be conscious during slaughter. Their legs and stomachs shiver, their necks twist and their bodies convulse painfully.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment