Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, February 21, 2014

Ukraine's bloodiest day: dozens dead as Kiev protesters regain territory from police

Corpses on Kiev's Independence Square as police deploy snipers and use live ammunition  In pictures – violent clashes in Kiev       

By Ian Traynor in Kiev    

The Guardian, Thursday 20 February 2014    

The conflict over Ukraine's future escalated on Thursday into the bloodiest day of violence since protests began, as the opposition routed thousands of riot police to regain control of central Kiev amid signs that the power base of embattled president Viktor Yanukovych was under threat.
Dozens died and hundreds were injured in a day of dramatic violence that turned into a seesaw contest and saw thousands of riot police scuttling from territory they seized on Tuesday. The day ended with thousands of Kiev residents patiently building city centre barricades in the cold and the dark. Police deployed snipers and used live ammunition in a menacing escalation of the violence.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment