Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, May 26, 2014

'Subcomandante Marcos No Longer Exists:' Zapatista Leader Retires His Nom de Guerre

By Alice Speri

VICE - May 26, 2014

With an enigmatic statement, the iconic leader of Mexico’s National Zapatista Liberation Army (EZLN) announced over the weekend that he no longer speaks for the movement.  The pipe-smoking, balaclava-masked leader of the revolutionary leftist guerrilla group that has fought for indigenous people’s rights since a 1994 rebellion in the southern state of Chiapas, said that his persona is being retired.  But it is not so clear whether the leader is actually stepping down, or whether this is one of his latest attempts to reinvent his role at the helm of the movement.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment