Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, November 17, 2014

Tanzania’s Masai face homeland eviction…so Dubai royals can hunt

Russia Today - November 17, 2014

Masai people living in northern Tanzania are facing eviction from their historical homeland, as the government has reportedly reneged on a promise and is proceeding with plans to remake the land into a hunting reserve for Dubai's royal family.
There are about 40,000 Masai people living on the 1,500 square kilometer “wildlife corridor” bordering Serengeti National Park. They are known for their semi-nomadic ways and have their own distinctive culture.
The original proposal by a company based in the United Arab Emirates to turn the land into a commercial hunting park was turned down last year.
But the deal seems back on track now and the Masai people were notified to leave their ancestral lands by the end of the year, the Guardian reported.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment