Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, January 17, 2015

France’s much vaunted secularism is not the neutral space it claims to be

Giles Fraser

The Guardian - Friday 16 January 2015

At the start of this year, the school in the little French town of Sargé-lès-le-Mans instituted a “pork or nothing” policy. Muslim and Jewish kids have either to eat pork or go hungry. Apparently this move is necessary to “save secularism”, according to National Front leader Marine le Pen. “We will accept no religious requirements in the school lunch menus,” she said. “There is no reason for religion to enter the public sphere.”
The glorious triumph of atheistic rationality over the dangerous totalitarian obscurantism of the Catholic church is one of the great foundation myths of republican France. And coded within this mythology is the message that liberty, equality, fraternity can flourish only when religion is suppressed from the public sphere. It is worth remembering what this ideological space-clearing involved.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment