Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Human After All: Ex Machina's Novel Take on Artificial Intelligence

Traditionally, culture has interpreted AI as a threat to humanity, but Alex Garland's new movie wonders whether robots can be just like us.

Laura Parker

The Atlantic - Apr 15 2015

Last month at South by Southwest, while swiping through the dating app Tinder, some festival attendees came across an attractive 25-year-old brunette named Ava. Ava used correct punctuation and referred to people by their first name. She also asked beguiling questions like, “Have you ever been in love?” and “What makes you human?” Ava was later revealed to be a chatbot, devised by a marketing department to promote Alex Garland’s new movie, Ex Machina. The film follows a young programmer, Caleb (played by Domhnall Gleeson), who wins a competition to spend a week with Nathan (Oscar Isaac), the reclusive CEO of a large tech company who asks him to perform a Turing test on Ava, a new humanoid artificial intelligence he’s created.


READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment