Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

It's the Other Oscars - and Yet Again the Winner Slips Away

By John Pilger

Truthout | Op-Ed  - Monday, 03 February 2014

It's celebrity time again. The Golden Globes have been, and the Oscars are coming. This is a "vintage year,” say Hollywood's hagiographers on cue. It isn't. Most movies are made to a formula for the highest return, money-fueled by marketing and something called celebrity. This is different from fame, which can come with talent. True celebrities are spared that burden.
Occasionally, this column treads the red carpet, awarding its own Oscars to those whose ubiquitous promotion demands recognition. Some have been celebrities a long time, drawing the devoted to kiss their knees (more on that later). Others are mere flashes in the pan, so to speak.
In no particular order, the nominees for the Celebrity Oscars are:

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment