Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Stanford's new major integrates humanities, computer science

By Kristen V. Brown

San Francisco Gate - Saturday, March 8, 2014

English majors of the future: It may be time to consider studying something other than comparative modern literature.

A new joint major program at Stanford offers the liberal arts-inclined just that, integrating humanities and computer science in an experimental merger of left- and right-brained thinking.

The CS+X program, announced Friday, will offer undergraduates the opportunity to jointly study computer science and either English or music beginning in fall 2014. But the idea isn't just to study the two subjects separately - it's to pursue a degree that mixes both disciplines, studying topics such as computing technique in literary analysis.

It is, as Stanford English Professor Jennifer Summit put it, a crossing of the "techie-fuzzy divide."

Read more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment