Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, August 1, 2015

A politician in Finland declared war on multiculturalism. This is how his country responded.

By Ishaan Tharoor

The Washington Post - July 31, 2015

Earlier this week, Olli Immonen, a legislator belonging to The Finns, an anti-immigration political party that's part of Finland's ruling coalition, published an incendiary post on Facebook.
Written both in English and Finnish, the statement called on Immonen's countrymen to "defeat this nightmare called multiculturalism," describing it as "an ugly bubble that our enemies live in." The full post follows below.
I'm dreaming of a strong, brave nation that will defeat this nightmare called multiculturalism. This ugly bubble that our enemies live in, will soon enough burst into a million little pieces. Our lives are entwined in a very harsh times. These are the days, that will forever leave a mark on our nations future. I have strong belief in my fellow fighters. We will fight until the end for our homeland and one true Finnish nation. The victory will be ours.
Immonen is hardly the first ultra-nationalist European politician to inveigh against the dangers of multiculturalism. It's a watchword that, for far-right populists and even more moderate conservatives, has come to signify everything wrong with society -- from the erosion of traditional values to the means by which radical Islam can flourish in some communities in the West.
In various Nordic nations, far-right, populist political parties have in recent years made inroads at the expense of the traditional left, buoyed in part by concerns over continued immigration.

READ MORE...

No comments:

Post a Comment