Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, August 15, 2015

The President's Mohsen Makhmalbaf: 'There's a little Shah in all of us'

He’s been jailed, poisoned, banned and bombed. But film-maker Mohsen Makhmalbaf won’t stop asking tough questions. As The President, his new satire about a toppled dictator living in disguise, goes on release, the exiled Iranian explains why oppressed people are also to blame for tyranny

Saeed Kamali Dehghan

THE GUARDIAN - AUGUST 10, 2015

Mohsen Makhmalbaf is fidgeting in his seat. “In the cinema,” he says, “I tend to drive people next to me insane. I can’t sit on my ass. I have to constantly move.” Over lunch, in this top-floor restaurant overlooking St Paul’s cathedral in London, he changes seats twice.
Makhmalbaf, one of Iran’s most prominent directors, is restless by nature. Constantly thinking of new ideas, endlessly curious about the world, he has made a film and written a book every year since 1981. In his home by the Thames, he has a stack of two dozen scripts on standby. He is by no means short of story ideas.
His latest film, The President, which premiered at Venice last year and is out in the UK next week, is a dark satire following the life of a despot and his six-year-old grandson as they flee from revolutionaries. Disguising himself as a street musician, the president, played by Misha Gomiashvilli, begins to learn about the people he oppressed.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment