Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Kuwait Police Fire Tear Gas at Protesters

The Wall Street Journal
October 21, 2012

KUWAIT CITY—Police in Kuwait used tear gas and stun grenades Sunday against antigovernment protesters defying orders not to stage marches through the Gulf nation's capital.

Demonstrators were allowed to gather outside parliament to protest changes in voting rules for elections set for Dec. 1. But other groups broke away and staged defiant processions through Kuwait City. No injuries were immediately reported, but the clashes highlighted the deepening tensions between Kuwait's Western-allied ruling family and opposition factions led by Islamists.

Opposition groups have objected to changes in voting rules for the coming elections that they claim could undercut their rising clout in the oil-rich nation.

Kuwait has the most politically empowered parliament among the Gulf Arab states with opposition lawmakers often directly challenging government officials over alleged corruption and power abuses.

To continue reading....

No comments:

Post a Comment