Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Mexican Muslim 'breaking borders'

World News Australia 
October 9, 2012

He’s Mexican, Muslim, a poet and a distinguished Professor at the Institute for Diversity in the Arts at Stanford University. When asked what he ‘does for a living’ he recites in verse, “I’m a poet, I’m an innovator, I use culture to leverage social power, to heal historical trauma and shift public discourse”.

Unifying his Latino culture with the principles of Islam, Mark is said to be part of a new breed in the US of first generation Muslim converts “making waves”. Born into a Roman Catholic Latino family he converted to Islam in his early twenties.

“For me, the religion I was born into stopped speaking to my soul in my late teens. I started sitting with and speaking to different communities and cultures in order to have a better understanding on what road or spirituality fit my soul better. I found that in Islam”, he says.

Now 37, he lectures in the power of “spoken word” at Stanford and travels the world educating on how to build stronger communities through culture.

His YouTube videos are viewed in the thousands and he frequently trends on Twitter. This performance at the first ever TEDx Ramallah event put him “on the radar”, so to speak.

To continue reading.......

No comments:

Post a Comment