Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

South African census shows big disparities in wealth remain

BILL CORCORAN in Cape Town

The Irish Times
October 31, 2012

INCOMES IN South Africa have more than doubled in the last 10 years, but, 18 years after the end of apartheid, white households still take home six times more money than their black counterparts, the national census revealed yesterday.

South Africa’s third census since 1994 paints a picture of a country in which a growing black middle class has consolidated its place in society over the past 10 years; and of a government that has increased its delivery of basic services, albeit slowly.

Despite these gains, major problems remain when it comes to the provision of low-cost housing, basic services and education for the poor majority. The hoped for equitable spread of wealth between South Africa’s ethnic groups has also yet to materialise.

Read more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment