Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, January 18, 2016

The Real Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton’s record cuts against the claim that she’s an ardent champion of women’s rights.

by Doug Henwood

JACOBIN - 1.17.16

Katha Pollitt is out with a response to my response to her review of My Turn. Once again, it’s largely free of any engagement with Hillary Clinton’s political history. It’s a short book, but there is a healthy amount of detail about some rather terrible things she’s done over her four decades in public life. Katha touches briefly on a few, but the blows are merely glancing.
I understand why she might not want to engage, since those terrible things undermine some of Clinton supporters’ most cherished claims about her, notably all the work she’s done on behalf of women. She did give that famous and frequently quoted speech in Beijing in 1995 in which she said that “women’s rights are human rights.” I thoroughly agree that they are. But it’s not clear how Clinton put that assertion into actual practice.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment