Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, January 17, 2014

Rich Chinese cool it on luxury as Beijing battles lavish lifestyles

Russia Today - January 17, 2014

Luxury spending by wealthy Chinese is down 15 percent on last year, while spending on gift-giving is in a dramatic 25 percent decline, as Beijing’s anti-corruption campaign raises fears over exchanging expensive gifts, says a 2014 Hurun Report.
Chinese people say they'll cut down on gift giving at the traditional New Year celebrations, “possibly due to the impact of anti-corruption initiatives and a slowdown in the economy”, Hurun said. According to a luxury consumer survey a quarter of people say they will not spend more than $826 (Rmb 5,000).
The average luxury spending was down from $280,000 (Rmb 1.77 million) last year to $240,000 (Rmb 1.5 million).
“For the first time, Louis Vuitton has lost its crown as the preferred brand for gifting by men, losing out to Hermès,” said the luxury report.

Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment