Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, January 9, 2014

How People in Muslim Countries Think Women Should Dress

One of the region's most liberal societies prefers one of the more conservative head coverings

By Olga Khazan

The Atlantic - Jan 9 2014, 10:14

Wearing some form of head covering in public is an important sign of Islamic identity in many Muslim-majority countries, but there is considerable variation in the extent to which women are expected (and sometimes mandated) to cover up.
A recent Pew report, based on a survey conducted by the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research from 2011 to 2013 in seven majority-Muslim nations, reveals just how widely opinions about female attire differ in the region.
The researchers asked the respondents in each country, “Which one of these women is dressed most appropriately for public places?” while showing them this panel:

Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment