Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Political Economy of Predatory Capitalism

By CJ Polychroniou

Truthout | Op-Ed  Sunday, 12 January 2014

The world is returning to the predatory laissez-faire capitalism that immiserated millions in the early 20th century and in spite of the fact it is predicated on neoliberal "voodoo economics," void of empirical reference.
Since the late 1970s, most capitalist economies have been marching to the tunes of neoliberalism - a term originally coined in the 1930s as a moderate alternative to classical liberalism but used in our own times to signify preference for a set of economic policies favoring privatization, deregulation and a "minimal" state. This is the version of neoliberalism developed by Milton Friedman and the so-called Chicago School and is usually associated with the Pinochet regime in Chile and later on with the so-called "free-market" policies of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. In more popular usage, it can simply be referred to as predatory capitalism.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment