Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Do Jordan’s tribes challenge or strengthen the state?

By Kristen Kao

The Washington Post - May 28

This post is part of the “Rethinking Nation and Nationalism” symposium.

In the spring of 2013, a fight between two students of different tribes at a university in southern Jordan killed four people and injured many. Tribe members on both sides reportedly supplied the students with weapons and closed the roads surrounding the area for days after the event so that they could personally punish the perpetrators.
Bystanders complained that state officials’ failure to intervene effectively escalated the conflict. Order was restored only once a pact was brokered between the sheiks of the two tribes in a process known as al-atwa.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment