Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Turkish start-up conquering Middle Eastern online gaming world


Istanbul (CNN) -- "Hurry up," one of my rivals curtly warns me, as I clumsily try to decide which tile to add to my deck.

Ali doesn't seem to realize that part of my dawdling is because I'm learning to play the Turkish game Okey for the very first time. Coached by my colleague, CNN producer Gul Tuysuz, I reach for a number. Then, in an effort to create some goodwill, I buy a glass of Turkish tea and send it over to Ali's side of the table.

"Thanks," he writes. But I still proceed to lose the game.

Instead of playing Okey the traditional way, shuffling plastic numbered ties on a green-felt table in a smoky cafe, Gul and I are exploring the game digitally.

This online version of Okey lets you win digital dollars and play with your friends via Facebook. It is definitely designed for a Turkish audience: Among the gifts you can send people are Turkish coffee, a nargila water pipe,and even a belly dancer. There is also a function called "flört" that lets you flirt with other players.

It is a fairly simple formula that the game's online designers say has been wildly successful. Since Turkish start-up company Peak Games released Okey less than two years ago, the game has attracted more than 19 million users, with an average of more than 3 million players a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment