Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

UAE toughens law on Internet dissent

The Star Online
November 13, 2012 

ABU DHABI (Reuters) - The United Arab Emirates has tightened the law on online dissent, imposing jail terms for anyone who derides or caricatures the Gulf Arab country's rulers or state institutions on the web.

The UAE did not undergo the popular uprisings that toppled four Arab heads of state last year, but it has shown little tolerance towards dissent and more than 60 members of an Islamist group have been detained since the start of the year.

The amendments to an existing law on Internet crime were issued in a decree by President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahayan, the state news agency WAM reported on Monday.

To read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment