Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Why Partitioning Iraq is a Terrible Idea

By Juan Cole

Aug. 13, 2015

I think the remarks of outgoing US Army chief Gen. Ray Odierno on the possible partition of Iraq have been reported in a sensationalist way. He just said that Sunni-Shiite relations in Iraq are at a nadir and that the country could look different in the future. But he was careful to say that such decisions are for local people to determine, and that in any case the first order of business is to defeat Daesh (ISIS, ISIL).
Still, he did get drawn into speculating about the partition of Iraq, which was probably unwise.
Iraq will likely continue to have a Canada-like federalism with substantial provincial prerogatives, Quebec-style, for the Kurdistan Regional Government.
But a formal partition, while possible, is unlikely and in any case would be a bad idea.
Every time there is a big civil conflict in a country, pundits always rush to speculate about or even urge partition. I remember when I was living in Lebanon in the 1970s during the early years of its civil war, there were speculations that it would end up a set of independent cantons.
But partitions are rare in in the post-war era. And the few that have occurred don’t offer encouraging examples. The United States was all enthusiastic to break South Sudan off from Sudan proper, in order to weaken one of Africa’s larger states and given that the Christian and animist population there had long chafed under northern Muslim Arabophone rule.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment