Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Citizen Khan’s Alia: How the hijab got sexy

The Independent
Tuesday October 2, 2012

BBC1’s Citizen Khan has received complaints not least for suggesting that Pakistani households are headed by swindling, male chauvinists who keep women under their yoke. But the production team hit the nail on the head with personalities like Alia, played by Bhavna Limbachia.
As a practising South Asian Muslim, I  know many girls like her. The scenes which show Alia pretending to be engrossed in the Quran’s recital and covering her head with the hijab, just to keep up appearances in front of her father, are indeed true to the behaviour of some young Muslim women who scorn what they see as the hijab’s drab and frumpish look.

To continue reading....... 

No comments:

Post a Comment