Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Merkel calls for greater European integration


Germany’s chancellor has called for stepped up efforts to resolve the European sovereign debt crisis. Speaking just hours before the start of an EU summit, the chancellor said this required greater European integration.

 Chancellor Angela Merkel began her policy statement to the lower house of parliament, the Bundestag by reiterating the importance of maintaining the common currency that is used by 17 of the European Union's member states.

"This euro is much more than a currency," the chancellor said. “"This euro serves as a symbol for the economic, social and political unification of Europe,"

Referring to the EU summit that was to open in Brussels just a few hours later, the chancellor said much had been achieved in efforts to resolve the European sovereign debt crisis, but that a lot of work still had to be done.

To continue reading.....

No comments:

Post a Comment