Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Protestants Now U.S. Minority for First Time, Pew Finds

By Frank Bass

Bloomberg Business Week
October 09, 2012

Protestants have lost the majority status they’ve had in the U.S. for more than two centuries, as the number of Americans who don’t claim any religion has surged, according to a Pew Research Center survey released today. 

The number of Protestants has fallen to 48 percent, from 53 percent in 2007, reduced by the growing number of unaffiliated Americans, now 33 million, as well as 13 million agnostics and atheists. Almost one of every five Americans doesn’t belong to a church, the center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life found.

“This is part of a long-term trend,” Cary Funk, a senior Pew researcher, said in a telephone interview. “The startling thing, though, is that in the past five years, the pace of change has accelerated.”

To continue reading.....

No comments:

Post a Comment