Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Eurozone unemployment hits new record of 11.6 percent as economy slips toward recession


The Washington Post 
October 31, 2012

Unemployment in the 17-country eurozone hit a record high of 11.6 percent in September, official figures showed Wednesday, a sign the economy is deteriorating as governments struggle to get a grip on their three-year debt crisis.

The rate reported by Eurostat, the EU's statistics office, was up from an upwardly-revised 11.5 percent in August. In total, 18.49 million people were out of work in the eurozone in September, up 146,000 on the previous month, the biggest increase in three months.

While the eurozone's unemployment rate has been rising steadily for the past year as the economy struggled with a financial crisis and government spending cuts, the United States has seen its equivalent rate fall to 7.8 percent. The latest U.S. figures are due this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment