Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, April 19, 2015

U.S. Gun Policy: Global Comparisons

Jonathan Masters

CFR - July 15, 2013

The debate over gun control in the United States has waxed and waned over the years, stirred by a series of mass killings by gunmen in civilian settings. The killing of twenty schoolchildren in Newtown, Connecticut, in December 2012 prompted a national discussion over gun laws and calls by the Obama administration to limit the availability of military-style assault weapons. However, compromise legislation that would have banned semiautomatic weapons and expanded background checks was defeated in the Senate in April 2013 despite extensive public support.
Gun ownership in the United States far surpasses other countries, and recent mass shootings in particular have raised comparisons with policies abroad. Democracies that have experienced similar traumatic shooting incidents have taken significant steps to regulate gun ownership and restrict assault weapons. They generally experience far fewer incidents of gun violence than the United States.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment