Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Rights of return: Spain, Jews and the Palestinians

Spain could have sent a powerful message to the Middle East had it apologized to and embraced the Muslims and Jews expelled by the Inquisition.

By Khaled Diab

The Hareetz | Feb. 18, 2014

Spain has further opened its doors to the descendants of Jews expelled from its land half a millennium ago – though the actual application process remains as mysterious as alchemy.
It is welcome that Spain is striving to right a historical wrong. However, what is overlooked in Spain’s public atonement is that it was not only Jews who were expelled during the Reconquista and the subsequent Inquisition, but also an untold number of Muslims.
A decade or so after the fall of Granada and the expulsion of the Jews who refused to embrace Christianity, Muslims were given the option either to convert or leave. But even the converts, known as Moriscos, were forced out a century later.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment