Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Saudi Arabia's first female editor of national newspaper appointed

Somayya Jabarti takes over at helm of Jeddah-based English daily Saudi Gazette following departure of Khaled Almaeena

By Saeed Kamali Dehghan

theguardian.com, Monday 17 February 2014

A woman in Saudi Arabia has been appointed editor-in-chief of a national newspaper, the first female journalist to be promoted to such a public position in a country with an appalling record on women's rights.
Somayya Jabarti, a former deputy editor, has become the new boss at the helm of the Jeddah-based English daily Saudi Gazette, the paper's departing head has announced.
"There's a crack that has been made in the glass ceiling. And I'm hoping it will be made into a door," Jabarti said after starting her new job, according to quotes carried by Al Arabiya News.
She added: "Being the first Saudi woman [editor-in-chief] is going to be double the responsibility … One's actions will reflect upon my fellow Saudi women."

Read more......

No comments:

Post a Comment