Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, March 1, 2014

From Academic Freedom to Academic Capitalism

By Diane Reay, University of Cambridge  

Discoversociety - February 15, 2014  

For the first decade of the 2000s I was a member of FAAB – Feminists against Academic Bollocks. We wrote satirical sketches, sang and danced, tried to embody innovative forms of resistance to the academic status quo, and gave conference performances.  In part, this was about performance as reclaiming a feminist identity,  but it was also centrally about what is legitimated and delegitimated in the academy,  and the gendering and classing of the academic persona.  One of the songs we sang to the lyrics of Gloria Gaynor’s ‘I will survive’ started: 
At first we were feminists, we were organised 
Then we entered academia and were atomised 
But then we spent so many nights 
cursing how  you did us wrong

Read more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment