Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What do policymakers want from researchers?

Blogs, elevator pitches and good old fashioned press mentions.

By Duncan Green

The London School of Economics and Political Science - March 11, 2014

Interesting survey of US policymakers in December’s International Studies Quarterly journal. I’m not linking to it because it’s gated, thereby excluding more or less everyone outside a traditional academic institution (open data anyone?) but here’s a draft of What Do Policymakers Want From Us?, by Paul Avey and Michael Desch. The results are as relevant to NGO advocacy people trying to influence governments as they are to scholars. Maybe more so. I’ve added my own running translation.
The authors surveyed all senior White House officials involved in national security under both George Bushes and Bill Clinton. 234 out of 915 responded (pretty good response rate for people this senior). Conclusions?

Read more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment