Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Jens Stoltenberg, Ex-Norway Prime Minister, Is Named Head of NATO

He Replaces Anders Fogh Rasmussen

By Naftali Bendavid and Kjetil Malkenes Hovland

The Wall Street Journal - March 28, 2014

Jens Stoltenberg, former prime minister of Norway, was selected as the next leader of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, putting him at the helm as the alliance faces a historic challenge.  Mr. Stoltenberg, who succeeds Anders Fogh Rasmussen, will take office Oct. 1, becoming secretary-general as NATO faces an array of new challenges in the wake of Russia's incursion into Ukraine.  There had been some discussion in the run-up to the decision about appointing a secretary-general from one of NATO's newer members in Central or Eastern Europe, given that many have belonged to the alliance for at least a decade, diplomats said. But Mr. Stoltenberg's credentials won him broad support. The only other major candidate was Italy's Franco Frattini, a former defense minister, officials said.

Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment