Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Arab World Sinks Deeper into Water Crisis, Warns UNDP

By Thalif Deen

Inter Press Service - November 30, 2013

The Arab world is widely perceived as blessed with an embarrassment of riches: an abundance of oil (Saudi Arabia), one of the world’s highest per capita incomes (Qatar), and home to the world’s tallest luxury building (United Arab Emirates).
But it lacks one of the most finite resources necessary for human survival: water.
“The average Arab citizen has eight times less access to renewable water than the average global citizen, and more than two thirds of surface water resources originate from outside the region,” says the U.N.Development Program (UNDP) in a new study released this week.
Titled “Water Governance in the Arab Region: Managing Scarcity and Securing the Future,” the report warns that water scarcity in the region is fast reaching “alarming levels, with dire consequences to human development”.

To read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment