Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, November 3, 2013

How to fix China’s pollution problem?

It may not be able to afford it 

By NATHAN VANDERKLIPPE 

The Globe and Mail - Saturday, Nov. 02 2013

Car sales, too, would have to be substantially pared back. Where the auto industry aims to have 400 million cars on the road in China by 2030, Deutsche Bank reported that a cap of 250 million cars is necessary for better air quality.
If these changes don’t happen and China maintains its current course, air quality could be 70 per cent worse in just over 15 years, the bank forecasts.
Funding a blue sky
One problem is the price tag for all this – particularly given the current uncertainty facing China’s economy.
The country is now in its 13th quarter of muted growth, the longest slowdown since economic reforms in 1978. At the same time, academics estimate that local governments have run up between $2.5-trillion and $3.5-trillion in debt. The country’s bedrock industries, too, are feeling pain.

To read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment