Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Friday, December 26, 2014

A tangled web Who goes online, and where

The Economist - Nov 8th 2014

THE internet looks like an adman’s dream. Counting how many times an advert on a bus shelter has been viewed is impossible; counting clicks on a blinking banner ad is a doddle. But knowing where each click came from, and how many people are clicking, is harder than it appears.
Firms dedicated to click-counting put code on websites that reports the times, origins and frequencies of visits, or get consumers to install it buried in browser plug-ins or mobile apps. These record web-users’ digital calling-cards: the internet-protocol (IP) addresses of the devices they are using. But to assume that each IP address represents a single user in its country of registration is a wild oversimplification.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment