Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, December 29, 2014

White Americans who don’t finish high school have better job prospects than black Americans who go to college

Sonali Kohli

QUARTZ - December 28, 2014

The Great Recession might be over (in the US, at least) but it has left behind widened racial inequality in unemployment and wealth.
The unemployment rate for white Americans over 25 who had not finished high school was 9.7% in 2013. The unemployment rate for black Americans who went to college but didn’t graduate, meanwhile, was 10.5%. That’s an increase from 2007, before the recession:


This same trend can be seen among recent college graduates. Unemployment for black graduates between the ages of 22 and 27 was at 12.4% in 2013, compared to 5.6% for all college grads in that age range, according to a May report from the Center for Economic and Policy Research (pdf). The number was even lower for white college graduates in the age range—4.9%, the study’s co-author told the New York Times.

READ MORE....

No comments:

Post a Comment