Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Monday, December 2, 2013

Are Europeans Giving Up on Europe?

Countries like Italy and Spain are turning away from the world, with grave consequences for the European project.

By Moisés Naím

The Atlantic - Nov 29 2013

The collective mood of a nation mired in a prolonged economic recession shows many of the symptoms of clinical depression: despair, fatalism, an inability to make decisions, lack of motivation, and irritability. This is one of the impressions I got from a recent trip to Spain and Italy, two nations I know well and visit often. While both countries have recently made small strides on the path to recovery, I nevertheless came away with the strong sense that their economies are in recession and their societies are in depression. In the course of my travels, I also felt more than ever before that Europeans have fallen out of love with Europe—or, more precisely, with the idea of building a Europe-wide union.

To read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment