Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Rich-poor higher education gap ‘wider than in 1963’

By John Morgan 

Social class ‘still biggest predictor of university attendance post-Robbins report’, conferences hear

Times Higher Education - 31 October 2013 |

Increasing the number of poorer students in higher education has not proved to be the “great social leveller” that it was expected to be in the Robbins era.
That was the argument set out by Anna Vignoles, professor of education at the University of Cambridge, at a conference to mark the 50th anniversary of the Robbins report held at the London School of Economics on 22 October.
Lord Robbins was head of the economics department at the LSE at the time his report was published.
Professor Vignoles said that the higher education participation rate for people with backgrounds in manual occupations was about 4 per cent at the time of Robbins in 1963, whereas by the year 2000 it was about 20 per cent – a “massive” rise.

To read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment